Shortly after our city was staked out in 1856, Rev. Isaac Heaton brought the first family to Fremont. He led the
first worship service in Dodge County in November of that year with seven persons forming the First Congregational Church on August 2, 1857.
A wooden church reminiscent of a one-room school house was built in 1868. It had a steeple and Fremont's first bell. Rev. O. O. Smith rang
the bell in jubilation celebrating the end of WWI. The building was also used for a variety of community needs.
In 1886, it was replaced by a decorative red brick church built in the shape of a cross. It had a decorative interior and featured stained
glass windows. When its spire became unstable, it was removed in 1931. Stucco was applied to the brick exterior leaving decorative bricks exposed.
The building served us well until our current structure was dedicated in 1959. Our members continue to be blessed by the decision to install
a superb pipe organ.
Ruth Mulliken and Isabel Rudolph served as foreign missionaries. Miss Mulliken served in China and Hong Kong. Mrs. Rudolph was a nursing
missionary in Rhodesia, Africa and Turkey.
The First Congregational Church became associated with United Church of Christ in 1960 under the leadership of Rev. Albert Becker. Rev. Edwin
Mehlhaff made us more socially aware. Dr. Warren Jensen, Rev. Jerry Fritz, Rev. Nancy Fritz, and Rev. Nancy Whalley Jensen were inspired into
service through our church. Dr. Norman Pavey served us well for 13 years. Rev. Don Stoebner served our congregation from 1999 until 2003. Rev. Terri
Akkerman then served as our minister from 2005 until her retirement in 2010. In the spring of 2014 the congregation called Pastor A. David Paul to serve as minister.